Universities That Have Developed a Beneficial Landscape Design
Several colleges and universities have adopted a landscape design that has many added benefits for the campus and students. Since many students are heading back to or moving to college in the next 2 weeks, Valley Green decided to highlight the universities that have developed a beneficial landscape design
At the top of our list is New York University. They have a beneficial landscape design that helps their campus and surrounding community.
Their landscape design consists of…
- Using natural fertilizers
- Using battery powered tools to control air and noise pollution
- Conservative water usage
- Sustainable soil usage with composting and mulching.
The next is the University of Maryland. They have implemented conservation landscaping which concentrates on benefiting the local environment.
- They use local plants
- They provide habitats for wildlife
- They use water conservatively
- They have a management plan for removing invasive plants and preventing regrowth
The third is Texas Tech who has adopted a landscape design to benefit its students and the environment. They have received several achievements with their design which includes the LEED Silver Certification.
- They collect rainwater in water in cisterns for watering
- They have several outdoor “classrooms” they have created with successful landscape designs
- They plant native and drought tolerant plants to conserve water and resources
- They have created several memorials trees they have planted around campus
Landscape Design at colleges and universities has many advantages. If your university adopts a beneficial landscaping plan, consider these other benefits.
- Aesthetics: An attractive campus is more likely to attract prospective students and their parents.
- Cleaner Air: Plants absorb carbon from the air which in turn gives students cleaner air to breathe.
- Noise Reduction: Plants can help reduce noise on campuses in larger cities.
- Safety: A well-maintained university landscape could prevent accidents.
Valley Green was founded by Charles Dooley in 1990. Headquartered in Holyoke, Massachusetts, we have grown to eight branch locations supported by inside & outside sales associates specializing in turf seed, sod production, golf sales, turf maintenance, nursery production, agriculture and arboriculture. The average green industry tenure at Valley Green is well over 20 years per associate!
642 S. Summer Street
Holyoke, MA 01040
Toll Free 800.862.0089
Wholesale Fax 413.533.4090