2019’s Arbor Day is already upon us. This holiday celebrates the importance of tree in the community and our lives. Many commemorate this day by planting trees in their state. If you or your landscape fleet plan on doing some Arbor Day planting, we have some great tips on spring tree care. After you read the article, be sure to check out our tree and shrub product selection.
Tips on Spring Tree Care
- FERTILIZE: Spring is a very important time to apply fertilizer. Spring applications of fertilizer will help in providing extra nutrients to push new growth. Experts often say that spring is the perfect time to apply fertilizer because trees are experiencing their main burst of growth at this time.
- PRUNE: If you are planting new trees, disregard this message. If you have existing trees, you should examine the trees closely and take a look at the branches that have broken away or are rubbing against each other. You’ll want to examine the branches for pests closely as well and take appropriate action in case you find anything.
- MULCH: You’ll want to mulch around new and existing trees to help control weeds and conserve moisture. 2 to 4 inches should suffice. Adding too much will provide a place for pests to nest which could eventually harm your tree.
- RAKE: Make sure to rake up debris around the trees. This will ensure moisture has a chance to penetrate the soil. It will also help in making your yard look a lot neater.
- WATER: Your new trees will need ample amounts of water during their peak growing period. Try using this schedule, 1-2 weeks after planting, water daily. 3-12 weeks after planting, water every 2 to 3 days. After 12 weeks, water weekly until roots are established.
Valley green offers a range of tree and shrub products designed to give your landscape the nutrients, protection and conditions it needs to thrive. A flourishing landscape will greatly enhance the overall health and appearance of your property while increasing its value. Please contact a local sales representative for more information.