Summer’s warm and dry weather can wreak havoc on an otherwise healthy lawn. Taking steps to prepare your or your client’s lawn in spring can help the grass prepare for summer’s extreme weather stress. There are several ways on how to prepare grass for summer weather. Follow these tips now to make sure the lawn stays healthy all summer long.
How to Prepare Grass for Summer Weather
- The first thing you will want to do is aerate the lawn. The aeration will help the grass breathe as well as enable water and nutrients to penetrate the root system thoroughly. It is best to aerate in early spring every 1 to 3 years. Please note that areas of the lawn that have a lot of foot traffic may require aerating more frequently.
- You’ll also want to rake thoroughly and remove any debris that has accumulated. This will encourage better air and water flow as well as prevent any disease and pest infestation. It also allows the new grass blades to grow freely without obstruction.
- Apply a nitrogen-rich fertilizer which should be spread in spring on your warm season grasses. You should always fertilize again in late summer as a part of winter preparation.
- Remember to mow your lawn even is spring. This will strengthen roots which will, in turn, make your grass stronger. As you get closer to summer, adjust the height if your mower blade. The longer grass blades will shade the soil from the scorching sun.
- Irrigation is also a big part of summer lawn care. Thoroughly water your spring grass twice per week. Too much water in the spring and the lawn will end up being more susceptible to diseases. Watering twice per week will enable the roots to grow strong before the face the extreme stress of summer.
Check out of all of our lawn and landscape products to ensure a stress-free and green summer.
Valley Green Corporate Headquarters
642 S. Summer Street
Holyoke, MA 01040
Toll Free 800.862.0089
Warehouse Fax 413.533.4090