Organic lawn care has become increasingly popular over the last decade. People are using organic products for a variety of reasons but mostly because they want to be more environmentally conscious. If you are considering switching over to organic products, it does take time and planning. Because of recent demand at our stores for organic products, our article today will be on the pros and cons of organic lawn care.
The Pros and Cons of Organic Lawn Care
- There is reduced exposure to chemicals. Although most lawn products have been deemed safe if used correctly, organic products offer peace of mind. Knowing that your family and pets exposure to chemicals has been reduced is comforting knowledge.
- Organic lawn care reduces the risk of over-applying. For example, organic fertilizer treatments break down slowly over time. Chemical treatments, if over-applied, can burn your lawn.
- Organic lawn care can actually improve soil function. Organic fertilizers, in particular, can increase the soil’s ability to hold water and nutrients. It also helps the ecosystem flourish by assisting microbes in making the soil the best it can be.
- Organic fertilizers don’t pollute the groundwater. Chemical fertilizers actually leach from the soil after rain and can contaminate groundwater. Because organic fertilizers release slowly, there is far less of a chance that this will happen.
- Organic lawn care products can be difficult and time-consuming to apply. They also have to be applied by hand. They often require a larger amount to be effective.
- Organic products carry the risk of contamination by pathogens. Organic fertilizers can contain animal waste that has pathogens that are harmful to humans if they are not broken down.
- Organic products sometimes yield inconsistent results. If you are going to use a product, make sure it is industry vetted by reviewing case studies.
- There will be an increased risk of weeds. Unfortunately, there are no organic weed control products that work well. Your best bet for weed control while using organic products is to simply pull them out by hand.
Check out our stock of organic lawn care products!