Summer is officially here! Millions of Americans will be planning to have holiday cookouts for holidays, birthdays, and more. There are several ways on how to prepare your yard for summer cookouts. Other preparation may involve purchasing food, sending out invitations and preparing the pool, but, the item that is often overlooked in this list is preparing the lawn. You’ll want to have it looking in pristine condition before the guests arrive because the main purpose of a cookout is to be able to have fun outdoors.
How to Prepare Your Yard for Summer Cookouts
- Mow the grass and prune your bushes. This will lessen the chance that ticks will make an appearance. It will also give your guests a clean surface to put out blankets and eat. A cleanly mowed lawn will also decrease the amount of debris that might get into your pool. Just make sure you have disposed of grass clippings and debris before the party starts.
- Come up with a plan ahead of time for insect control. Pre treat the lawn with a mosquito and tick control agent in advance of the cookout. Light citronella candles during the cookout and make sure you have bug spray on hand for evening festivities and fireworks.
- Don’t forget about your hardscapes. Make sure they are clean and free of debris. A broom and power washer are often the best items for this job.
- Use outdoor lighting. Make sure hazards and walkways are properly lit. This can be done with a variety of different lighting methods. Solar lights are often the most economical and energy saving.
- Refresh mulch in your beds. Guests will be impressed when they see colorful fresh mulch that laid down. The mulch can also be used to hide any bare or discolored lawn spots.
Valley Green was founded by Charles Dooley in 1990. Headquartered in Holyoke, Massachusetts, we have grown to eight branch locations supported by inside & outside sales associates specializing in turf seed, sod production, golf sales, turf maintenance, nursery production, agriculture and arboriculture. The average green industry tenure at Valley Green is well over 20 years per associate!