With the warm and mild winter the northeast has had, it is imperative that landscapers start getting a jump on spring pest control now. If you want to control ticks, mosquitoes, grubs, and other bothersome pests, we have 5 tips for spring pest control. Keeping these insects under control can decrease the possibility of summer infestations. You can use these in your own yard, or if you have a landscape fleet, these tips are just as useful.
5 Tips for Spring Pest Control
- To get a jump on controlling mosquitoes, get rid of any standing water left over from winter. Mosquitoes larvae can grow in any amount of standing water. This means you should check unusual places such as clogged gutters. If you or your client have a pond or water garden, a pump that moves the water around will keep mosquitoes from laying eggs in it.
- Clean up any branches, leaf piles, and other debris left from fall or winter. This debris leaves a great place for biting and stinging insects to hide. You’ll also want to move leftover winter firewood inside or completely off the property because that can also provide a perfect place for insects to hide. Just make sure the firewood is not rotting before bringing it inside, as this is a favorite place for grubs and carpenter ants to hide.
- Spraying insecticide on the perimeter can keep insects at bay. You will likely have to reapply the insecticide throughout the summer to keep up with insect control. This is especially important for ticks and mosquitoes. Just make sure that you are aware of the product’s safety precautions. Make sure to keep children and pets away from the application area.
- To protect your or your client’s home, you’ll want to seal any exposed wood that is near the earth with a product that repels termites and carpenter ants. Make sure you check the wood around the windows as well.
- If you are doing any new planting, keep the shrubs, mulch, etc, at least a foot away from the home’s foundation. This will discourage pests from considering the option of moving into your or your client’s home.
Valley Green offers a great selection of landscape pest control products. Visit, or call one of our locations today.